More a meander than a march, Photo Walks usually cover a mile in 90 minutes, mixing in a bit of local history, myths, legends and tall stories. While not a formal workshop, I’m always on hand to offer advice and help you get the most out of your camera.
All cameras and levels of experience are welcome. I’ve even had people come without a camera for the experience of looking at Birmingham in new ways.
|Spaghetti Junction||Jul 1||£15||Book|
|Jewellery Quarter||Sep 8||free||tba|
|Jewellery Quarter||Sep 15||free||tba|
|Spaghetti Junction||Oct 7||£15||Book|
|City at Night||Nov 13||£15||Book|
|City at Night||Dec 4||£15||Book|
|Walk Pass||One Year||£35||Buy Now|
The classic two-hour Digbeth walk weaving through the back streets, canals and hinterlands of this mysterious place. We take in (subject to the route) monolithic railway architecture, graffitied buildings, light industry, canals, artist studios, Victorian urinals, repurposed factories, forgotten cathedrals, spectacular city views, neo-pagan stone circles and the mysterious terminating viaduct.
Spaghetti Junction comprises two railway lines, two rivers, three canals and 13.5 miles of motorway. Underneath the monolithic flyovers is a unique landscape which the thousands of drivers who use it every day never see, from the calm of Salford Reservoir to the hidden forests under the concrete brutalism and noise of the flyover itself. The walk lasts three hours – bring a packed lunch and a flask.
City at Night
This three hour walking workshop takes in the buildings, canals and roadways of central Birmingham with an emphasis on tripods and long exposures. If you’re a complete novice Pete will be on hand to show you how to shoot in Manual and use your tripod effectively. If you’re an expert you can benefit from safety in numbers.
A new walk, devised with the Jewellery Quarter Townscape Heritage project, that focuses on the network of streets between Warstone Lane and Graham Street. The first walks, during Birmingham Heritage Week, are free. Subsequent walks will be run by me for the usual cost.
One-Year Photo Walk Pass
If you’re going to attend at least three of my photo walks, this is for you. For £35 you’ll be issued with a Discount Code valid for one year, starting on the date of your choosing.
- Walks have limited places. You can try turning up on the day but I recommend booking in advance to be sure.
- Sturdy shoes are recommended for outside events as we may go off-road.
- Routes are subject to change.
- In the event of really bad weather outdoor events may be postponed in which case a refund will be offered or credit given for a rescheduled date.
- If you need to cancel, please give 48 hours notice and I will happily reschedule you or issue a credit note. If you do not attend and do not give 48 hours notice I am unable to give credit.
- Children under the age of 16 are welcome if accompanied by a paying adult.
- While walks are guided and there is safety in numbers I cannot take any responsibility for the safety and security of yourself or your equipment. Please be careful and act responsibly.